Mumbai: Bollywood Choreographer Geeta Kapur Rams Car Into Biker

  | March 13, 2015 12:46 IST (Mumbai)
Geeta Kapur

This image was posted on Twitter by Geeta Kapur

Following the incident, Geeta admitted the injured victim to Kokilaben Dhirubai Ambani Hospital

Bollywood choreographer and reality show judge Geeta Kapur was arrested on March 11 after she rammed her car into a man outside a medical store at Yari Road. Kapur was later released on bail by the Versova police station. According to the police, the incident took place around 5 am March 11 near Versova Metro railway station.
Kapur, one of the three judges on dance reality show Dance India Dance, was driving her Honda Accord and rammed into a pedestrian, Nisar Mohammed Sayyed (28), who was outside Mohan Medical Store. Nisar had stepped outside the shop after purchasing some medicines, and had just sat on his motorcycle to start it, when the car hit him.
A resident of Seven Bungalows area, he works as an electrician and has two wives. Ravindranath Pawar, senior police inspector, Versova police station, said, "Choreographer Geeta Kapur was driving back to her home in Lokhandwala after dropping off her friend in Yari Road. She told us that she was trying to avoid hitting a rash biker when she lost control of the vehicle and hit Nisar."

Following the incident, Kapur called her friends and admitted the injured victim to Kokilaben Dhirubai Ambani Hospital in Andheri (West). He has suffered a fracture in his right leg and he is out of danger, said the police. A close friend of the choreographer told mid-day, "Geeta has paid the deposit to admit Nisar in Kokilaben Hospital.
She has noted the details of his health and we have assured the victim's family that we will help them." Police confirmed that Kapur was not under the influence of alcohol. She was arrested under Sections 279 (rash driving) and 338 (causing grievous hurt) of the Indian Penal Code, and immediately granted bail. Police have also taken possession of her vehicle.
Wife: Who will pay the bills?
Farida, Nisar's first wife, said, "After the incident, Geeta Kapur was taken to the police station but cops did not ask us to come to the police station, nor did they come to the hospital to record Nisar's statement. Everyone is saying it was Geeta who admitted my husband to the hospital.
Why did she not come to meet him after she was released on bail?" Farida said her husband is the sole earning member of the family and his leg has been damaged badly. "I don't know when he will get discharged from the hospital. Who will pay the bills for this?" she asked.