Sanjay Dutt breaks down, says won't apply for pardon

Sanjay Dutt breaks down, says won't apply for pardon
Sanjay Dutt with hands folded said that he will surrender in time, according to Supreme Court's decision.
Actor Sanjay Dutt broke down as he addressed the media this morning, saying he had not applied for a pardon and would abide by the decision of the Supreme Court, which has given him four weeks to surrender and serve the rest of his five-year sentence under the Arms Act for illegal possession of weapons in the 1993 Mumbai blasts case.

Mr Dutt, who has already served about a year-and-half in jail, appeared before cameras today in a white T-shirt and a big red tilak on his forehead.

With hands folded he said, "I have not applied for a pardon. The Supreme Court has given me time and I will surrender in that time. I have a lot of work to finish. I would also like to spend some days with my family."

He said there were many others who deserved a pardon more than him.

Breaking down while making his short statement, he buried his head in his hands and was comforted by his sister and Congress MP Priya Dutt, who sat next to him. Mr Dutt did not answer any questions, he hugged his sister, wiped tears and walked away quickly.

There has been much speculation on when the actor will surrender and begin serving three and a half years in jail amid a raging debate on whether he should seek a pardon.

The film fraternity and many politicians have spoken in his support, suggesting that he be pardoned. Former Samajwadi Party leader Amar Singh and actor-turned politician Jaya Prada met the Maharashtra Governor, K Sankaranarayanan, on Tuesday. Last week, Press Council chief Justice Markandey Katju wrote to the Governor to exercise his powers and pardon the actor.

However, parties like the BJP and the Shiv Sena have said it would not be fair to pardon Mr Dutt.
Advertisement
 
MORE FROM NDTV
MORE FROM THE WEB

Advertisement