Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt, who has been ordered by the Supreme Court to complete his five years sentence for complicity in the 1993 Mumbai blasts, is mulling filing a review petition against the judgement, sources close to him said.
The Supreme Court had on March 21, 2013 upheld Sanjay Dutt's conviction under Arms Act and sentenced him to five years in jail of which he has already served 18 months. In keeping with the order to surrender within four weeks, he has to give himself up before the designated TADA court in Mumbai by April 18, 2013.
The actor has the option of filing a review petition and, in the event of failing to get relief, he can file a curative petition, the sources said.
While review petition comes up before the same bench which heard his appeal against the trial court's order sentencing him to prison, the curative petition is heard by a larger bench.
"There exists the option of filing a review petition but nothing has been finalised as yet," the actor's lawyer Satish Maneshinde told PTI.
Though the actor can also seek pardon from the state governor, he has gone on record to say he would not.
Amid a growing clamour for his clemency, Sanjay Dutt, 53, had told the media on March 28, 2013 that he would not apply for pardon.
"There are many other people who deserve pardon. I want to tell with folded hands to the media, the honourable citizens of the country, that when I am not going for pardon then there can be no debate about it," Sanjay Dutt, who repeatedly broke down during his interaction with the press, said.
Governor K Sankaranarayanan had earlier this month sent over 60 representations and petitions received by him from various individuals and organisations, both seeking and
opposing clemency for Sanjay Dutt, to the state home department.
These petitions included those from PCI chief Markandey Katju and expelled Samajwadi Party leader Amar Singh.
Meanwhile, racing against time, the actor has set up a dubbing studio at his home and is trying to finish all pending projects.