Shah Rukh Khan detained at US airport

Shah Rukh Khan detained at US airport
Bollywood actor Shah Rukh Khan, who arrived in the US to visit the Yale University, was detained for over two hours at a New York airport.

Mr Khan, who has been named a Chubb Fellow, was accompanied by Nita Ambani and they were understood to have arrived in a private plane at the New York`s White Plain airport. Mrs. Ambani`s daughter is a student at Yale University. Sources told PTI, while everybody else were cleared by the immigration immediately, Mr Khan was stopped for over two hours before being cleared by the immigration officials.

Mr Khan's plane landed in New York at 12:30pm but he didn't make it to Yale till 6pm, two hours late for his scheduled speech.

When he finally did address the students at Yale, which is three hours from New York, Mr Khan said: "We were detained at the airport as always. For one and a half hours. It was nice. It always happens when I come to America. Whenever I start feeling too arrogant about myself I take a trip to America".

"Mr Khan was very very upset at the episode. Yale University officials had to contact the Department of Homeland Security and the Immigration and Customs Department at Washington, when they came to know about his detention," sources said.

This is not the first time Mr Khan has been stopped at an American airport. In 2009 also, he was stopped at the Newark airport and was released after a two hour grilling.

Shailja Gupta, who is the USA head of Mr Khan's production house Red Chillies Entertainment, said that he was expecting to be stopped this time as well and that he answered all questions with grace and patience. She also said that the airport officials recognized him but continued with the questioning.

Minister of External Affairs S M Krishna has asked India's Ambassador to the US, Nirupama Rao, to take up the issue with the highest American authorities. He said: "This has become a habit of detention and apology which cannot continue." Immediately after the incident, the US Customs and Border Protection addressed a letter to India's New York Mission with "profound" apologies for the incident.

Back home, Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah reacted on Twitter, saying: Honestly what's the big deal?? This airport detention thing happens all the time & to all sorts of people. Get over it.

However, not all were as dismissive. Congress MP Rajiv Shukla, who helped Shah Rukh Khan the last time he was detained, said: "If you stop someone because of his/her name or some other reasons for so 2-3 hours and then apologise and let him go, this is not fair. They should have records, anyone who has gone through this procedure once, should not go through it again. And for known figures, a data bank should be maintained. This has been done with Dr Kalam as well, it's sad. I got to know that everyone knew Shah Rukh there and then acted like this, it's completely uncalled for. The Foreign Minister has already condemned it."