July 12, 2012 10:39 IST
1. As a child, Dara Singh had a huge physique and was thus encouraged to study pehelwani (wrestling).
2. He even wrestled on invitation of Kings and during melas.
3. As a professional wrestler, Dara Singh toured many far-east countries. He went to Singapore in 1947, where he became the Champion of Malaysia by defeating Tarlok Singh.
4. He then became the Indian Champion in 1954.
5. In 1959, Dara Singh became the Commonwealth Champion by defeating big names in the wrestling world like King Kong, George Gordienko, John Desilva and others.
6. In 1968, he became the Champion of the World by defeating America's Lou Thesz.
7. In 1996, he was inducted into the Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame.
8. After stepping into the film industry, Dara Singh became the Action King of Bollywood. Some of his notable movies include - Watan Se Door, Daada, Rustom-E-Baghdad, Sher Dil, Sikandar-E-Azam and Raaka.
9. Dara Singh gave Mumtaz her first big break as a female lead in Bollywood. They have done 16 movies together.
10. He also owns the prestigious Dara Studio in Mohali, which is a mini-city in itself. It is a fully equipped studio with camera, stands, trolleys etc. all available under one roof.