Kamal Haasan is in Mumbai for the release of the Hindi version of the 95-crore thriller. His brother, Chandra, who has co-produced Vishwaroopam, said that after a first round of consultations this morning, he had been asked by protesting groups to make cuts adding upto nine minutes. "I am not technically or morally competent" he said, adding that the decision will be made by Kamal Haasan after he returns to Chennai, most likely on Saturday. A second round of negotiations were held in the evening today.
The actor told NDTV last night that "I don't think the film will have to be chopped. I will talk to my Muslim brothers."
The mediation session was offered yesterday by Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa who stridently defended the ban, arguing that it was necessary to maintain law and order and to give both sides time to "cool down and come to an agreement."
Earlier this week, the actor, who has also directed and produced the film, met with Muslim leaders and agreed to delete a list of scenes and words that were identified as contentious. His production company, Raj Kamal Films International, asked the government to formalise a settlement.