Advertisement
HomeMusic

Chris Brown Begs Philippines to Allow Him to Leave

  | July 24, 2015 10:46 IST (Manila)
Chris Brown

This image was posted on Instagram by Chris Brown

"Please, please, let us leave, please," Chris said in a video posted on his official Instagram account

In a desperate appeal punctuated with a backflip, stranded Grammy-winning star Chris Brown got down on his knees on July 24 to beg the Philippine authorities to let him go and resume his world tour.
The 26-year-old American has been barred from leaving the Southeast Asian nation after a politically influential sect filed a fraud complaint, demanding a million-dollar-plus refund after he skipped a New Year's Eve concert last year.
"Please, please, let us leave, please," Chris said in a video posted on his official Instagram account. The post was later taken down.
He went down on his knees in what appeared to be his hotel room. He ended the plea with his signature backflip.
He also appeared to send a thinly veiled distress signal to US President Barack Obama as he captioned the Instagram video post: "OBAMA!!!!!!!!!!"
In two subsequent Twitter posts he said:


Chris Brown had performed to a packed crowd at a Manila arena on July 21.
But he had failed to show up on December 31, last year, for another concert sponsored by the indigenous Christian group Iglesia ni Cristo at its mammoth 55,000-seater indoor stadium on Manila's outskirts.
He has reportedly said he lost his passport at the time so he could not travel.
The justice department barred him from leaving unless he can produce a document certifying he has no legal obligations in the country.
The immigration bureau has said Brown has not applied for such a document, and the justice department on July 23 appointed a state prosecutor to prepare the filing of fraud charges against him.
Both Twitter posts were re-tweeted close to 2,000 times just minutes after the hip hop star uploaded them.
He has more than 14 million followers on the micro-blogging site, and 12 million on the photo-sharing platform Instagram.
A playful and bewildered Chris had posted a foul-mouthed rant on his Instagram on July 23 as he break-danced apparently to make light of his predicament.
But his tone was more serious on July 24, as his failure to leave the Philippines might compromise the upcoming stops of his world tour.
He is scheduled to perform in Israel and Cyprus next week before returning to the US for more concert dates, according to his website.
When asked about Chris' case, US embassy spokesman Kurt Hoyer told AFP: "The embassy assists its citizens who are in need."
Philippine immigration officials as well as Chris' promoter and spokeswoman were unavailable for comment.

Advertisement
Advertisement